Learn How to Make Cold Brew Like the Pros
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
During the hot days of summer, we sell triple and sometimes 10x the regular amount of cold brew at our Beverly Hills 90212 coffee shop/coffee roastery.
But even year-round, we have many regulars who will order cold brew in person or via our online menu (the Aharon app for local clients – they can download to their phone and pick up in-store or get their order delivered) no matter how windy, rainy and chilly it may be outside.
And who can blame them? When Aharon Vaknin, founder and visionary of Aharon Coffee, first developed his cold brew, he played with the ratios and roast profile for weeks in order to achieve the best cold brew he had ever tasted. Aharon Cold Brew Coffee is crisp, smooth, and well-balanced, and has a chocolate note and a naturally sweet flavor note that makes it a knockout in the Cold Brew category.
Then there’s the caffeine content…
Because the coffee grinds steep for hours and hours in the water, cold brew coffee is the most caffeinated coffee (by the ounce) available.
Ready to do this yourself?
Here are the simple 7 steps to make an amazing cold brew coffee:
- START WITH THE BEST COFFEE!
CHOOSE A VESSEL TO BREW INTO.
- We use a giant food-grade covered bucket to make our cold brew at the cafe, but at home, you can opt for a pitcher, an oversized Mason jar, or any large vessel with a lid that you feel comfortable using.
- You can also opt for a very affordable cold brewer like this one which makes the process a bit easier because it already has the filter built-in.
GRIND COFFEE – COARSE GRIND.
- Coffee should be ground even coarser for Cold Brew then for French Press. The more surface area, the better. Have a look at this blog to see why the grinder used to grind your coffee is so important. If you want your beans to last longer, invest in a grinder.
- We love this Encore by Baratza. Or if you will consume the beans within a week or so, ask us to grind your coffee for you.
FILL VESSEL WITH ROOM TEMPERATURE WATER.
- Check out this blog to understand the part water plays in making your coffee taste fantastic! (hint: it plays a BIG part) Please do NOT use unfiltered water, your coffee will not taste amazing.
- Ratio of water: coffee is VERY important! One 12oz bag of Aharon Coffee can be brewed into 96oz of water.
- To answer your question, YES, COLD BREW COFFEE REQUIRES QUITE A LOT OF COFFEE GRINDS PER BATCH!!!
WEIGH GRINDS, SUBMERGE INTO WATER FOR 16 HOURS.
- Use a nut milk bag like this one to put the grinds inside before submerging.
- The brewing should take place at room temperature. Technically, "cold brew" should really be called "Room Temp" brew but we can all agree which name sounds better lol.
FILTER THE COFFEE.
- After the 16 hours of brewing, pour your coffee through a cone with a paper filter snugly tucked inside. This will catch the natural oils along with any loose grinds and result in a supremely crisp cold brew. Let as much of the coffee drip into the vessel as possible before throwing (or composting!) the wet grinds.
- (If you use the OXO cold brewer, it filters the cold brew for you.)
REFRIGERATE AND/OR POUR OVER ICE & ENJOY!
- Like this really needed to be a step. 😝
Pro cold brew brewing tip: Make cold brew ice cubes! Fill an ice cube tray with cold brew, so when you enjoy your cold brew over “ice”, it never gets watery.